A travel money belt is a portable pocket safe used as precaution against theft while traveling. It offers peace of mind and is a safer option than a travel wallet because it’s hidden under your clothes. Think of it in the same sense as your underwear. You put it on in the beginning of the day and throughout the day it’s out of sight and out of mind.
Remember, a money belt is only worth its value if worn properly – under your clothes. Keeping cash, a passport and a debit card in your money belt in your bag defeats its purpose. If the bag is stolen, then too will be your money belt. Yes, thieves are aware of money belts, but it very unlikely that they will undress you to steal something – they are looking for items that are quick and easy to grab.
There are a variety of different money belt designs. They can be worn on different parts of your body depending on different comfort preferences. Here are a few of the most common money belt designs:
- Waist Money Belts – the most common design in money belts, worn around the waist under clothes
- Neck Money Belts – typically a pouch that is worn under clothes around the neck or across a shoulder
- Arm Money Belts – small secret pouch worn on arm under clothes
- Leg Money Belts – secret pouch worn under clothes on bottom half of leg, usually above the ankle
- Hidden Money Pouches – a pouch that can be strapped to a belt and then tucked inside pants, shorts or a skirt
- Belt Money Belts – an actual belt that looks like a regular belt with a hidden zipper pocket to slip in small items