Adapter and Converter Frequently Asked Questions

Going In Style Adapter and Converter FAQs

Do I have the right adapter?

Please refer to the country list adapter guide and contact Going In Style with questions email

Will my Design Go adapter work for all electrical devices: appliances or electronics?

Yes. Just be sure to check if you need a grounded or non-grounded adapter and whether you need a power converter or not.

What is the difference between an adapter plug and a voltage converter?

An adapter does not regulate the voltage that flows to your devices, while a converter will. Check the voltage of the country you are visiting, if it is higher than the USA 110 volts, you will need a converter for single voltage appliances to ensure they will not overheat and break. You can check your appliance, such as a curling iron, to see if it is dual or single voltage.

How can I tell if my appliance is single or dual voltage?

Check the label of your appliance, it will either have one voltage or two. For example, if your appliance says 110 V, that would indicate single voltage. If it says 110/220V or 110-220V that indicates a dual voltage appliance which will work anywhere in the world with the correct adapter plug.

My plug won’t fit in the adapter

Adapter plug holes can be tight the first few times you use it. Simply plug and unplug your appliance from the adapter several times while not connected to the wall to loosen it up. This tightness of fit will ensure a solid electrical connection. You want a tight connection to your adapter for safety.

Why is my adapter titled with another country’s name?

Many adapters are shared among multiple countries, but are named after the most popular country. You can refer to Going In Style's adapter guide to check if you have the right adapter.

Do I need a grounded or non-grounded adapter plug?

If your device has three prongs you will need a grounded adapter. Two pronged plugs will fit in either grounded or non-grounded adapters. Watch Going In Style's Video HOW TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GROUNDED AND NONGROUNDED ADAPTER PLUGS >>

Why do I need a U.S. (North America) adapter if I am from the U.S.?

The U.S. requires all outlets to be polarized for safety, meaning one prong is larger than the other. Most other countries do not have polarized outlets; therefore, your plugs will not fit into their smaller outlets unless you take the US / North America adapter.

Why do some countries have multiple adapters?

Many countries in the world have various kinds of electrical outlets depending on the building / hotel you are staying in and how old the building is. Outlets can also vary by country.